Friday, July 23, 2010

Living like a VIP in Benin!

Here's an except from an email I wrote to my parents (I don't have time on the internet to create a new blog) :
The food situation is great! As of a couple days ago, I moved in to my host family. I was weighed 3 days ago, and I'm the exact weight that I was at home - and I think since moving in with the family, I've gained 5 pounds! :) My host family is awesome. Have you ever felt like you're exactly where you are supposed to be? Well, I found out that my dad is a Supreme Court Judge in Benin. Which is AMAZING for me. I'm excited for my french to improve so we can talk about the justice system here. My teacher is teaching me words to use for it. And because he's a supreme court judge - he's RICH by beninese standards. I'm living like a VIP for the next two months and getting fed more meat, fruit, veggies, (and CHEESE!) than I can handle! I get the entire second floor apt to myself, because all of their kids have moved out and are in school now. It has a gorgeous view over Porto-Novo (the capital). I haven't laughed and smiled this much in a very long time. I know that it hasn't gotten hard yet - but since being here I still feel like it's perfect for me.


The people here are very friendly. Life is different, but not bad at all. It's so interesting. I don't think I yet have a concept of 2 years, but I'm excited for the possibilities of what I can do in that time!

I love and miss you all!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so happy you are getting Food! It all sounds great. A Supreme court judge! The Peace Corps people hand picked you for that home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like you are exactly where you are meant to be! I am very relieved to hear you are eating well and being treated like a VIP, which we all know you are!
    Lots of love from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I,m so happy you are in such a great home with such fine people and good food. I know you will be able to talk about the court system real soon with your host Dad. God bless and all our love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey darlin!

    I am so happy that you are really enjoying the Peace Corps thus far! It really does sound like this is where you belong. Everything happens for a reason, and I am so happy you were able to take this opportunity to do something that you truly believe in.
    I miss you! I love you! And I cannot wait to hear more about Benin!

    ReplyDelete