Monday, July 5, 2010

One week until Philly!

Words I used to associate with Philadelphia:
-Eagles
-Liberty Bell
-Really busy airport
-Mean football fans

Words I now associate with Philadelphia:
-Immunizations
-Conferences rooms
-Last comfy bed
-Africa

I'm leaving for Staging (a two day "don't freak out, but you're about to be in Africa... have some immunizations!" meeting) next Wednesday morning. I've got everything packed and it's currently weighing 74 of my 80 lbs. It's tough because there's constantly something else that I think of or get an email about that I need to pick up. At some point it just has to stop, and I just have to say "No, I guess I don't really need a calendar for the next few years" or "Ok... so I get a shortwave radio or a can opener". And I just found out today that I'll be arriving while rainy season is still going on. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.... (Less heat/sun vs. more malaria carrying mosquitoes). I've been very addicted to reading other Peace Corps Vols blogs these past couple of days. It's good, because it's giving me more to think about, but then again... what good will thinking of week long protozoal bacteria infections do me? All that being said, I really am excited to go. I've been thinking about the Peace Corps at least once every single day (a lot of days I thought about it most of the day) since November 2008 and I'm in disbelief that the time is almost here.
I've tried to share with people what made me decide to run off to a third world country for 2 years, but I'm not sure that I've always done a good job of it, so I wanted to explain now. I got a criminology degree from The Florida State University in December of 2009, but had been planning for it long before that. I decided my first summer in school that this was an opportunity for me to travel and see things I may never have the chance to see again, so I studied abroad in France. I caught the traveling bug, and knew I'd need to do something after I graduated that allowed me to travel. I wanted to work on my French too - and when I found the Peace Corps (I can't remember who turned me on to the idea, but thank you very much), it just fit. Since then, I've traveled quite a bit more, and took more international classes. My last semester I took a Human Rights class taught by the brilliant Terry Coonan that made me really consider a future in international human rights. I studied the International Criminal Court and had a chance to really see how it worked. I'm very interested in all that goes into an International Court case, especially the work of the non profit organizations and non-government organizations. The Peace Corps allows me to not go into debt immediately, and look for a job based on my experience -- instead my "put-me-in-the-red $40,000 Graduate School degree". At least, that's the plan for now.
I really do feel passionately about the mission of the Peace Corps. I am extremely excited and forever grateful for this opportunity. I also know that I wouldn't have these aspirations if it weren't for my family, especially my parents, always supporting me to do whatever makes me happy, even when it makes no sense at all to them. Thank you guys. I love you. :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I cannot believe you are going to be off to Africa so soon! I always knew this day was coming, but it is hard to believe it is finally here! I am so happy for you and I am so proud of you!
    I'm going to miss you though! Have fun and enjoy your time there. Learn as much as you can, and stay safe! Love ya sweetie!

    ***Sorry! I accidentally deleted the first one. I was just trying to go in and edit it. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becca, its Tommy ... from Tallerhasser. I think its great you have chosen to live creatively .... it is something that really counts. Any spare room in your pack should be dedicated to socks ... no amount of pairs is ever enough so its good to have as many as possible. plus the possibility that you will lose a few is not only good, it is certain. so stock up. from what i hear, Africa is Big Mosquito Country, but theres only so many thin gs you can do about that. Even if they dont bite you, the noise will drive you mad. earplugs.
    I wish you a pleasant passage into the Dark Continent. Try to get out to Pats Cheesesteaks in Philly if you can. Its downtown and the sandwiches are superb. I will try to get a postcard out to you.

    Good luck
    Tommy
    Pucón, CHILE

    p.s. i have a photography blog too ... check it out thomasmayophotography.blogspot.com

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. also .... whatever valuables you are bringing, whether they be photos or diamond engagement rings, its better to put them with your carry on luggage. this may be obvious. but if you get to thinking "no, the baggage handlers wont look through my things... theyre good people" or "ill hide this in my pants pocket in the bottom... theyll never find it", immediately stop and realize that they really ARENT good people, and that theyre crafty and know all the hiding places, and will easily pocket your goods. ive put my blind trust in the baggage handlers before and they have taken advantage of it. I dont know who youre flying with, but if they give you any guff about the weight of your carry on luggage, explain to them that youve flown with "x airlines" before with the same luggage and there was no problem, and furthermore, you are carrying on sensitive and expensive equipment that simply cant be checked.

    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will M&m's not melt in Africa? lol. I hope you have a great time! I'm happy you have a blog so all of us who love you can follow what you are doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tommy - Thanks so much for your support and advice! All the notes I've gotten from the Peace Corps so far have pretty much said that all the electronics I pack will more than likely break or be stolen before the end of my 26 mos - so it's just making it all last as long as possible. I'm not trusting anyone though - or letting on that I have nice things (by nice things I mean: laptop, camera, and.... expensive mosquito net?).
    I'm follow your blog - I glanced through it last night and it's awesome! You're very talented.
    Keep me updated with how you're doing. I have a feeling you are going to have an exciting next two years. :)

    Lauren - Everyone knows that m&ms melt in your mouth, not in your airmail packages to Africa! :P And idk, a lot of other Peace Corps Vols ask for them, and I love them, so I'm asking too. haha Thanks! :) And Thank for checkin' out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to start hearing about your adventure that starts tomorrow. We will cherish every post!Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad,Daniel,Glen and I are so proud of you! It is so hard to think of two long years but I know its want you want to do.You are a fantastic Woman!We love you!!!!
    Love,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. ssarver13@yahoo.comJuly 18, 2010 at 11:21 PM

    Hoping everything is going well. I know you will write more when you can.Thinking of you!Love mom

    ReplyDelete